Sample: What Will Kill Me

The following is a sample of a poem I recently read at the COPLAC Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Conference at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts.
This material is copyrighted by myself as the author, and I reserve all rights to this material and the borrowing of this material for reproduction purposes.
For inquiries, please email me at olivia.m.cyr@maine.edu



"What Will Kill Me"

I. Alcohol


My father’s father bottled everything.
French Canadian by blood and mean.
We don’t talk about it—Daddy turned out
alright. We don’t talk about it but
it runs in the family, drips and branches
down glass, then pools. My sister, me,
our children, drenched in 80-proof.

I am 19 and angry: The irritating, self-righteous,
contradictory, indulgent voice
in my head speaks when it is very seldom spoken to.
I make every attempt to drown it.

                        (What are you having tonight?)
           
                        Please, I’d like Gin.
           
In high school at a party, I chased
every word with a drink.
I’d pop corks and caps
with my strong teeth, clutch cans, bottles,
glasses with angry hands and hold on tight;
I shouted and pressed my body against walls.
Wanted to taste that bubbly scuttling inside
my mouth, cold and burning simultaneously.

(There’s beer in the kitchen if you want…)

                        I need to go ‘ome.

                        (Oh, come on.)

                        I don’ wanna talk about it.

---

I remember going to New York City
in college:

I step off the subway and teeter on a wild precipice.
Spanish Harlem whirls for me, the quivering heat above
the city pavement and the tartness in my nose,
this new world. Sun on my cheeks like meteor fire
and then someone whirs past me on a bicycle,
and I am caught in the intricate web of the city.
West and east are monogrammed into sulfur exhaust so
I follow its cloud, and the movement of everyone
else. Pollution and noise pile heavy on my tongue, and
people are moving but I am not. Push-pull of their bodies
and no rest for them weaving solid and fast past me standing
by a cafĂ©, map flimsy in my fist, and there’s nothing familiar
about all this. I imagine finding a street-side tavern, saddling up
to the bar, pretending I belong, and ordering whiskey.
Everything slows down.

---

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Track 2: Expectations

Track 3: Around the Fire