Monday Motivation


⬥⬩⬥

      Hi, Reader. If you're anything like me, you overthink heaps of things on a daily basis. 

      From what to eat, to what errands to run, to just how long it will take to run to the store while the soup is on the stove, to be back in time for it to have come to a perfect boil--only to overthink that choice and then think through the pros and cons of leaving something to cook while you're not home.

      Yes, this is kind of a silly example of overthinking, and it isn't quite the kind of overthinking I'm going to talk about in this post. But it's a good example of feeling torn between two options, and knowing full well deep down which is the right one; of how often we spend all of our time thinking about doing something, and either we never do it, or it takes so much thinking for us to do that thing, that our head is spinning once we get to it.

      I want to encourage you to try something new this week. 

      I'm sure there's something you've wanted to do lately. Get a gym membership, apply for a great job even though it's intimidating, go for a walk after dinner, take Roscoe to the vet, or get off your patootie after work and vacuum the damn carpet (you've been looking at it all week and that dog hair and those cake crumbs aren't going to just disappear). I know how hard it is to want to get a task done or achieve a goal that is very close in reach, but feel lazy or unsure of doing something about it, and instead, think the hell out of the situation.

      For example, I spent quite a long time this summer contemplating buying a membership to my local Planet Fitness. It had been almost a year and a half since I'd stepped foot in a gym, and when I graduated college, I told myself that while I was now back home, I should really join again and get in shape. But from the end of May to the middle of July, I put it off. I don't really have the money for a membership, and but what if I land a job tomorrow? I'll have no time to workout if I join now. I'll wait a few more weeks and see what happens, and I have time to join, it doesn't have to be right this second. I got tired of hearing my own voice.

      So two weeks ago, I was running an errand across the street from the gym, and without thinking much, I parked in front of the big purple and yellow building and walked in, asked for a tour of the place, and signed up for a membership that afternoon. As I was walking back to my car, I felt more accomplished then than I had in weeks. It was a small accomplishment--I didn't do much beside make a decision and then act on it. But I am proud of myself for not putting it off another day. I know myself well enough to know that sometimes, if I don't stop thinking and just do the thing, I might never do it. Now that I've just stopped pondering the thought of working out and getting fit, I'm making actual strides toward being healthier. I hit the gym every weekday now, thanks to finding the "off" button on my thought bank.

      I think Nike said it best. Just do it. Stop overthinking every move you want to make, and quit wondering what could be. Try taking a deep breath and going for the gold, without thinking twice and before you can even stop yourself. If you give yourself time to lose your nerve, when will you work up the motivation again to pack Roscoe into his kennel and cart him to the vet for his check-up?

      The universe has given you all the power, positivity and good vibes to live. Don't waste time wondering when and asking how and thinking about why. Get out there and DO.
      
      Good luck!
        Olivia ♡

Please leave a comment suggesting something you'd like me to discuss in next week's Monday Motivation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track 2: Expectations

Track 3: Around the Fire

My Must-Haves For Everyday Life!